Welcome to Indigenous Inclusion - Module 4 of 6
Have you been asked to include indigenous topics into your curriculum?
Are you looking for ways of integrating indigenous history, perspectives and culture into your lesson plans?
Maybe you don’t know where to start? Or perhaps you do, but you want some great resources at your fingertips?
You have found the correct place and before you dive deep into the wealth of information here please keep in mind:
- It’s all about Relationships. Indigenous Learning Outcome integration is not about knowing the most facts, reading the most books, or reaching to try and find ways to indigenize every college program. It’s about creating environments to foster relationships. It’s about creating a space to learn, explore, heal and communicate with a community that has been ignored by the government and main stream for years. Most importantly it’s about teaching future generations to learn and evolve from the wrongs of the past.
- It’s about Respect. It’s about learning the difference between western and indigenous views and learning to appreciate different world views. It’s about learning to see the beauty in difference and learning how to approach new and different cultures without judgment and with appropriate personal and professional conduct.
- It’s about Celebrating Indigenous Culture and making space for Indigenous peoples to engage in cultural activities or re-discover their culture. The best way to learn about any other cultures is to investigate, participate, support and encourage others to with an open mind and heart.
- It’s about creating Meaningful Learning Experiences, community projects and familiarizing yourself with issues/events that are important to Indigenous communities. Most importantly it’s about watching and listening.
- It’s about Taking the Time to Learn about the pieces of history that were omitted from public record and acknowledging the difference in the Canadian experience. Furthermore, it’s working towards closing that gap so that all people have the same experiences and opportunities.
The next step is to ask yourself, what role can I play in bringing these recommendations into action?
Congratulations on already starting this journey by coming here.
Miigwech, Marsee, Merci and Thank You!